Surprise can be good, bad or neutral and is normally followed quickly by a separate emotion. (Happiness, Anger, Sadness, etc...)
Some indications of Surprise are:
- Briefly raised eyebrows
- high raised eyebrows that curve
- tight skin between eyebrows and eyes
- wrinkled forehead (long horizontal across)
- wide open eyes
- white of eyes visible all around
- open mouth
- jaw dropped or slack so that it hangs loose
- sharp intake of breath
- yell, shriek, scream
- physical trembling/shaking
- Stomach lurches (when surprise is negative)
Long term, a person may be more cautious in circumstances that caused surprise or may take more to be surprised again.
What other mannerisms, behaviors, or responses do you associate with surprise?